Monday, November 16, 2015

Author's Notes

What are author’s notes?


            Author’s notes are notes from you (the author) to me (your reader) telling me what I need to know in order to respond effectively, wisely and well to your work. Remember that I do not grade your papers, so there is no point in trying to conceal the problems with the paper. I would really like to know what you think about your piece.

What should you include in your author’s note?

  • The history of the piece—how did you come up with the idea?  What decisions did you make as you wrote the piece?  How did you decide how to approach it?  What did you change as you wrote it? What were you trying to show the reader?  How does this draft compare to earlier versions? What problems have you encountered and what strategies did you use to try to solve them?  What response did you get along the way and how did it affect you?

  • Your evaluation of the piece—What do you think of this paper? What do you think is working well in this piece? What lines or parts of the paper do you like?  What is frustrating you? What do you think really needs work? What problems have you been unable to solve?

  • The response you would find most helpful. What would you like me to comment on about the paper?  What do you want to know from your readers?  What advice or assessment do you need?

Some things you can do in your author’s notes:
1.     Ask Questions

Ø  Ask me-as-reader questions about the effects of the text.
Ø  Ask me questions about meeting particular requirements of the assignment.
Ø  Ask specific questions about specific passages.

·       Examples:
o   I wasn't sure about keeping the third paragraph on page two -- it seemed like extra stuff I didn't need, but then I cut it after peer review and people seemed confused, so I put it back in.  Do you think it's necessary?
o   I’m not sure my ending works.  I don’t want to tell too much, but do I leave the reader confused?

2.     Discuss the process of composition/research/revisions
·       Example: 

o   I had written this completely differently, but then decided it was too personal.  I attach both versions.  What do you think?

3.     Explain what you were trying to do:
·       Example: 

Ø  In this paper, I want to show the reader how music affects people with autism.  I want to present my research and persuade people that music exposure and instruction is really important for autistic kids. 

  1. Comment on strategies:

Ø  What strategies did you use on this writing assignment that worked well for you? Consider strategies of inquiry, drafting, and product in your answer.

Ø  Why do you think they worked well? In other words, what did each strategy do for you that improved your ability to write or your writing?

Ø  Under what conditions might you use these strategies again?

5.     Explain what resources you have used to complete the assignment.
·       Example:

Ø  I asked a friend to read it over for me and check my grammar.

What aren’t author’s notes?

In your author’s note, you should NOT:

            Apologize for problems with the paper
            Complain about the assignment
            Make excuses for the paper
            Defend your paper against possible attack.
            Write more about what is in the paper
            Explain what the reader needs to know in order to understand the paper.

           


No comments:

Post a Comment